HELPDESK

Here we can describe more what should be posted here

TOPIC: Updating and passing climatological aerosol

Updating and passing climatological aerosol 8 months 4 weeks ago #2514

• Laura Rontu
  • Administrator
  • Finnish Meteorological Institute
  • Thank you received: 8
Sorry if asking something evident but could someone please repeat how the climatological aerosol is being updated in HARMONIE cy43 from day/month to another in the analysis-forecast cycles of the NWP application. Something changed recently if I recall correctly. What are the relevant utilities - updclim / updtim ... ? Are CANARI or gl playing a role when reading and passing Tegen aerosols from a cycle to another, from monthly data to analysis and forecast model?

Updating and passing climatological aerosol 8 months 4 weeks ago #2515

• Ulf Andrae
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 35
Laura,

I think it's done as a part of CANARI.

Ulf

Updating and passing climatological aerosol 8 months 4 weeks ago #2516

• Laura Rontu
  • Administrator
O.K. Thank you Ulf, need to dig further. Just found in a cold start NODE...1 a bit frightening output saying words from updtim: " (" UPDTIM TEGEN AEROSOL CLIMATOLOGY IS LOADED") which comes after calling of src/arpifs/phys_ec/suecaebc et al. for 5 Tegen aerosol types in case of LNEWAER=true (it is). Those routines contain hardcoded global fields if I understand correctly.
Edit: not only cold start NODE tells this but also the next ones when LRAYFM (the default radiation scheme) is used.
Last Edit: 8 months 4 weeks ago by Laura Rontu. Reason: added info

Updating and passing climatological aerosol 8 months 3 weeks ago #2517

• Laura Rontu
  • Administrator
Seems that updtim indeed fills a lot of arrays with hardcoded aerosol optical depths always when LNEWAER is true. However, these arrays are (were) used by ECMWF only. Seems safe to disable this extra setup operation for us by using LEPHYS switch. Hope this will be O.K. also in climate model application. LNEWAER cannot be switched off because it influences also elsewhere. Study of our Canari-way continues, in order to introduce the climatological aerosol mass mixing ratios properly. For ECMWF, this was also done by this updtim using hardcoded MACC aerosol.
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds